My current job may be over at the end of the year, but even if it isnít I plan on quitting by February 15th. It will take a solid two months to retrofit the wagon and get the horses in shape for the journey.
Some of the improvements I plan on making to the wagon are:
1. Electric Power - I plan on going with 600 watts of solar panels, a bigger inverter and at least 4 deep cycle batteries. The price of solar panels has come way down and this will give me all the power I need without ever having to plug in or start a generator.
2. Wagon Appearance - The front of the wagon will be boxed in with plexiglas windows and doors. Since Iím not the best craftsman in the world, Iíll probably get an Amish carriage maker to do this. Amongst other things, the wagon will have a new paint job and lettering.
3. Independent front and rear brake systems - After overpressurizing and blowing a couple of wheel cylinders on the last trip, I realize how important this is.
4. Improved Vehicle Warning Devices - As a minimum, Iím going to add a white (school bus type) strobe and a couple of more slow moving vehicle signs.
5. Horse Care - Iíll have a total of two electric fence systems. This will prevent overcrowding in one and reduce the chance of a breakout. Also, more tie points on the wagon and more harness hangers.
6. An outside awning on the side of the wagon.
7. Better storage areas, for both the trailer and inside the wagon.
8. Another 30 to 40 gallon water tank, mounted under the wagon. I still havenít come up with where I can put a hot tub!