6/25/12, Mack’s Inn, ID - This morning I intended to get off to an early start, but circumstances dictated that it just was not to be. The previous afternoon, I thought I had the wagon and trailer parked far enough from the lake to be in firm ground - wrong. During the night, one of the trailer tire sunk enough to cause the axle to almost hit the ground. Also, one of the back wagon tire sunk about 4 inches. Together, this was more than my star team of Doc and Bill could handle.
I was dug in enough that I didn’t think the addition of a third horse would help, so I settled for plans B, C and D. First I tried jacking up the trailer and putting some wood under the tire. As I could only get the jack under the trailer frame and not the axle, I could only lift it about an inch. Then, I shifted some weight rearward in the trailer and lifted it off the wagon hitch. After using the horses to get the wagon out, I had to unhitch them and use a single tree and chain to pull the trailer free. The difficult part came when I had to back the wagon up to the trailer. Without unloading 2000 pounds of supplies, I had to get the wagon just in the right position so I could drop the hitch on the ball. (All this sounds a lot easier than it actually was!) Finally, everything came together. The drive up to the road was a piece of cake. So, after a two hour delay, we were rolling again.
A ways down the road, I stopped at Henry’s Fork (river) and used the pump to fill up my water jugs. The sump pump, hose and wagon electricity turned out to be a great idea for the trip and has saved me a lot of work!